Palace welcomes ceasefire ‘re-extension’ by communist insurgents January 3, 2013
Malacanang welcomed the re-extension of the ceasefire by communist rebels until January 15 this month noting that this will benefit combatants on the ground.
“The Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) has declared a re-extension of the ceasefire to January 15, 2013. The government welcomes this change of heart from their earlier position. This gives our soldiers and members of the CPP-NPA-NDF more time with their loved ones, which becomes difficult in times of conflict,” Presidential Spokesman Edwin Lacierda said in a statement on Thursday.
“Despite unilateral statements to the contrary, the government is fully committed to honoring this ceasefire—a clear indication of our sincerity and determination to maintain peace and stability.”
Representatives from the government and the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army-National Democratic Front (CPP-NPA-NDF) met in The Hague, Netherlands, last month and agreed on a holiday truce that would last from December 20, 2012 to January 15, 2013.
Lacierda also said the Aquino administration is looking forward to resuming a fruitful dialogue with the CPP-NPA-NDF, with the vision of fostering a true and lasting peace in the country.
The rebel group cut short its declared ceasefire with the government this week. Instead of January 15, ceasefire ended effectively Wednesday.
The CPP-NPA-NDF said it had shortened the duration of the ceasefire because President Benigno S. Aquino III failed to issue a reciprocal declaration indicating said ceasefire would end on January 15.
Office of the President Website
OTHER HUMAN RIGHTS PROMOTIONS WEBSITESHuman Rights Advocacy Promotions | Human Rights
Home - Human rights Promotions Website
PROTECTION AND PROMOTION OF HUMAN RIGHTS